Saturday, October 4, 2008

The New Hat...

There is something to be said for growing old...and yes, I am talking about becoming a Grandmother, lol.
Our daughter-in-law frequently stops by with our newest little one, Andrew, who, as it happens, has developed a strong affinity for his Grandpa Mike...and I couldn't be more thrilled about that.
He loves to sit on Mike's lap and gurgle about his day, his likes and dislikes, and even to the other day, when ~ as you can see ~ he came by to show off a new hat, given to him by his Grandma Cindy.
I understand that she had been to a sale and caught a glimpse of the deer & snowflakes, thinking of Andrew staying warm this coming Winter ~ his very FIRST ONE, yea! ~ and how this hat would bring out the deep blue of his eyes. The lining is as soft as velvet, and truth be told, it was not easy getting him to part with it inside the house, lol.
As Paul & Kristy continue to bring him over, week by week, and sometimes even more than that, thank God, I have been enjoying getting to know this little person, who has already familiarized his own self with our household ~ his personality, his temperament, everything about him ~ he has already become such a character in his own right that it is now hard to imagine our lives without ever having a chance to know him. It really does seem like he has been around forever...and it is barely six months since his birth.
Soon I know it will be time to "baby-proof" the house, with light socket covers, locks on cupboard doors, gates at the stairways, and all the rest of that, but until then, it has become very easy to have him around. Yes, even second-nature to have him around; we have been so busy getting to know him that for myself, at least, I don't remember what it was like not knowing him at all. 
Last year, on my birthday, Paul & Kristy gave me a card that read "Happy Birthday, Grandma!" and that was how I found out. I have known Andrew ever since that day, more than a year ago. I have watched and waited for his arrival, counting the days probably as expectantly as Kristy herself! I have sympathized with her every ache and pain, wanting to feel his kicks and be there during his visits to the doctor, when every ultrasound picture showed him with a thumb's-up signal from inside the womb.
And now, months later, as I see him in pictures like these, sitting on his Grandpa's lap & telling him all about what he has been up to since his last visit, my heart is filled with a joy that only a Grandma can feel. The son of my son, the closest being to my own that there ever will be...that is what I feel, and what I want; for Andrew, in his new hat, I can only say that my love for him will grow every day, for the rest of my life, and how happy I am for the chance to call him one of my own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet Jenn!!! He's adorable!

Love,
Heather

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

I might be the most biased Grandma on the face of the earth, but I have to agree 100% !!! :) ...you should see him in person, lol...