Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Time to Mourn...and to Celebrate...

My Mom, who passed away this past Saturday, 10 January, 2009, was a wonderful lady.
She will be missed by everyone who knew her; sadly, we cannot hold those we love in this life...they all must move on to that eternal destiny, which is called Heaven.
My Dad, who died on 8 November, 2001, was also greatly mourned by friends and family alike ~ and, I daresay, he still is. He & my Mom were married for just over 61 years. They had 6 children, of whom I was the 4th ~ 1 older son, 2 older daughters, 1 younger daughter & finally, 1 younger son.
We all grew up a close-knit family, with extended cousins and family friends to fill up any picnic area at any neighborhood park...Our family reunions took up any and all available space; favorite places included parks, beaches and even a couple of family summer homes.
My husband likes to tease me that whenever the family gets together, it takes up to an hour or more just to say "good-bye" at the end of any gathering...and I always respond with "Of course! That's just an extended part of the party! First, we say 'hello' for at least half an hour, followed by the party itself, and then, finally, the 'good-byes' start and can last up to any extended length of time ~ there is no limit to the gift of gab that has been bestowed upon my family, starting with my parents and their generation..." It has just always been a part of who we are!
There was no end to the good times enjoyed by my parents and their close friends...and I have no doubt that the fun continues in Heaven even now, as we who are left behind on Earth, grieve in our hearts for the ones lost to us. Of course, my parents brought us all up in the Faith of the Holy Roman Catholic Church, keeping us in parochial schools all the while, and showing a good example @ home of a life grounded in morals and sacrifice for others, but that always included a good word, a good deed and a good time ~ all was a blessed gift from God above! And they took full advantage of it, believe me...
I know we will all meet again one day, God willing, and our joy will be unbounded. There will be no end ever again for any of us, as we rejoice in lives well-lived and family well-loved.
God keep us all...

3 comments:

Gina said...

I am so so sorry for your loss.
I will pray for her soul.
Regina

Leticia said...

I am sure your mother was proud of the fruits of her labor seen in your life.
May the angels carry her to Paradise.

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

Thank-you both so very much! It means alot to hear from those who can give a kind word...God keep you both. :)