Sunday, August 24, 2008

Entry for March 19, 2008 ~ A Plan for Nothing...

We have twelve gardens. All in raised beds, spread throughout our property ~ five in the front yard, seven in the back yard. And every year, just about this time, I am browsing catalogues and online sources for new plants to buy, to fill out all this garden space.
Well, needless to say, I will not be ordering new plants this Spring. Being laid up with a broken leg, I find it hard to believe that I will be able to kneel in the dirt at all for the next several months, let alone do all the other various and sundry garden chores that I had planned to do.
I bought a brand new wheelbarrow last Fall, and silly as it sounds, I was actually looking forward to using it this year ~ I wanted to order two or three yards of garden soil and put my new tool to work, as several of the beds are in need of replenishing. So, unless one of the resident garden faeries decides to push it for me, there ya go!
I planted about 75 new irises in the back yard last Fall, so at least I did get something done! The sad part of this is, some of my favorite sources have sent me coupons already, wondering when I am planning to send in my next order ~ and where on earth have I been?!?
Sadly, I am right here...not regretting my broken leg ~ already been there, done that ~ but bemoaning the fact that it happened just on the cusp of planting season...and how in the heck am I supposed to climb around in all of these raised beds, pulling early-season weeds, pruning roses for the Summer growth, fertilizing for a new year of color, transplanting anything that might need it, and all the rest of it?
I know I can get my family to help. I know they will be able to pull some weeds and perhaps deadhead where it is needed. But the fact is, most of the gardens and their layouts have been due to my own vision...and it will remain up to me to get the bulk of it done.
So, already, now at the middle of March, I can picture the end result...even tho' there was so much I had intended to do, it will most likely have to wait until next year.
I will continue to browse my favorite gardening sites and catalogues. I will also go on planning in my head all the visions and dreams of what my gardens will someday become.
But for now, here while I am stuck, I will have to be content with that.

No comments: