Sunday, August 24, 2008

Entry for October 17, 2007 ~ More for the Garden?

Ok, then...it's Autumn now...finally!
The color is out, the garden is filling up with Nature's compost, and I am loving this cooler weather!
I did get all my new flowers planted (thankfully) and it only took me three days...I cannot wait to see all this new color in the Spring.
And that brings me to the subject of today's Blog ~ the Four Seasons. For those who like the warming up of the air after a chilly Winter, there is the Spring ~ cool in the early days, gradually stretching into warmth after a month or two, the first flowers poking out and the trees donning their greens...Spring is not my favorite time of the year, mainly because I never know how to dress. But I like it better than I used to, now that I have my gardens to keep me happy. I do admit that I love the Spanish bluebells, the tulips and daffodils (even tho' mine are all yellow and they were supposed to be pink!), and my all-time favorite flower, the mighty columbine, starts its annual bloom in the late Spring...early Summer.
Maybe that's why I am starting to like Summer more than I used to, as well...since this flower (even tho' I have several varieties) is always happy to greet me from its place(s) as I come and go. And the roses ~ beautiful, as always ~ who doesn't love a rose?!? So, Summer, I must admit, is becoming a more tolerable Season for me than it ever used to be!
And as it moves on into a later Season, with the roses still giving their heady show, there is also the hydrangea, which is a never-ending kaleidoscope of hues...and all in one bush! I only have two, so far, so that's saying alot ~ still full of flowers after nearly three months of bloom!
Now, of course, with the beginning of Autumn, there is color EVERYWHERE! If I walk through my gardens, I see it in the late-Summer roses, the hydrangeas and lady bells (a lovely blue shade ) and all the rest...and I can also look up and see it everywhere above me, too...trees covered in multi-colored leaves, falling gracefully to fill the yard. And it's just starting...
Fall has always been my favorite time of year; I always loved the cooler air, the warmer clothes, the crispness of leaves crunching under my feet as I walked along...
As the Season moves on, I know it will become colder and colder and finally, it will become Winter ~ with all the blowing, blustering, blizzard-ing of that frosty time of year ~ and I will welcome it!
A break from the yard work, although still dreaming of being 'out there' at the same time...
Cozy-ing up to the warmth and darkness of shorter days and longer nights...
Never getting enough snow...
And then, thankfully, just as I have begun to think that this is all that there is, the start of Spring all over again! And the advent of all those new flowers that I planted just last week ~ mostly irises, a few more tulips ~ and the parade of Seasons starts anew.
Yes, now that I stop to think of it, I don't really have a favorite Season anymore ~ I believe I have said this before ~ that with every change comes a new beginning, a new 'color' and a new way to be...
And I can say with all honesty that I love every minute of it!

No comments: